Title: Park Ambassador
Reports to: Program Manager
Hrs. per week: As scheduled (20 or less)
Working conditions: 100 percent outside on Main Plaza
Open until filled
Main Plaza Conservancy seeks a Park Ambassador to ensure Main Plaza feels welcoming to all our visitors.
Main Plaza Conservancy works to advance the history and culture of Main Plaza, in the heart of the City of San Antonio, by engaging the community through a living, visual, and generational gathering place. The organization is governed by a board of directors and currently employs three staff members who work to link government, culture, business, and the spiritual heart of San Antonio, San Fernando Cathedral to create a thriving city center. The board and staff, in partnership with the City of San Antonio and Bexar County work to create a community atmosphere that attracts local residents and visitors through year-round festivals, events, and activities.
Our programs include the internationally recognized video show, San Antonio: The Saga, which airs every Tuesday through Sunday at 9:00 and 9:30 p.m.; monthly celebrations including a Second Saturday Vendor Market as well as cultural celebrations for families and tourists. In 2023, we will implement a daytime series to include workshops and lunchtime programming.
- Greet visitors
- Provide information to the general public
- Diplomatically enforce park rules and regulations.
- Set up for morning workshops (t’ai chi, morning stretch, storytime and others as scheduled)
- Assist workshop attendees with registration/information
- Create daily reports of park activity, condition, etc.
- Run the Lunchtime Live series (Loteria, Trivia, and Board Games)
- Coordinate with Downtown Food Truck Association to direct and assist with lunchtime food truck set up.
- Monitor and assist local musicians during Lunchtime Live series
- Report any critical issues to the Program Manager and/or police.
11. Other duties as assigned
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
- Wednesdays: 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM
- Fridays: 8:00 AM -10:00 AM
Other days as scheduled. It is expected that this position will be less than 20 hours per week.
- Strong customer service skills
- The ability to diplomatically enforce park rules and regulations
- Outgoing, confident, and friendly
- Comfort in public speaking and with using a microphone
- Ability to lift 50 lbs regularly. –Ambassador will assist with setting out ez-ups, etc.
- Must be able/willing to work with the un-housed community with both compassion and firm expectation that they adhere to park rules and regulations.
- Must enjoy working with different types of people, including families, senior citizens, downtown
- business owners and workers, tourists, vendors, and more.
- Appreciation for the history of San Antonio (training will be provided)
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
To apply: send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Lisa@mainplaza.org.
Main Plaza Conservancy is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on account of race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, or religion or otherwise as may be prohibited by federal and state law.