History of Main Plaza
Plaza De Las Islas
A Pedestrian Place 1730 - 1890
Spanish urban planners in the New World know how to create a vibrant community: its two interconnected building blocks were a cathedral and a plaza. This spatial structure compelled the citizens of New Spain to revolve around a civic center, timing their movements to the comings and goings of their neighbors with whom they worked, played, and prayed.
The 1730 plan for San Fernando de Bexar (San Antonio) drew on this tradition, beginning with the iglesia, the town's 18th-century church that later became a cathedral. From its front door, surveyors marked off Plaza de las Islas (Main Plaza) and a set of radiating streets along whose flanks government buildings, stores, and individual housing would be built. The whole plaza was locked in a grid, forming "a cross with the church as a center."
This circulatory pattern stimulated a robust street life, especially in the plaza. Its open-aired expanse was crowded with religious festivals, political rallies, military formations, and civilian parades. Amid its dust rose the noise of merchants and shoppers haggling and gossiping, of people dancing and mules braying. Plaza de las Islas, this dynamic, intimate, and walking landscape was the city's communal core until the late 19th-century arrival of streetcars, which started pulling people away from the plaza.
Collapse and Revival, 1890
Long the spiritual heart, government center, and social hub of San Antonio, Plaza de las Islas (Main Plaza) began to lose its centrality in the late nineteenth century. Railroads and trolleys reorganized the city's commercial activity by enabling developers to create new, more distant suburbs, shifting where people lived and shopped, in an outward thrust that later the automobile would accelerate.
As the city swelled in size, the plaza itself shrank as a result of the widening of market street in the 1880's and the construction of a new county courthouse that filled in a portion of its southern quadrant. As other tall buildings rose over the plaza, replacing more human-scaled structures, its wide-open character and dirt-packed surface were also transformed. The center was elevated and planted with trees and grass, while the surrounding streets were paved. Citizens protested these significant alterations, but to no avail: the plaza had become a park.
Bypassed, like most of downtown, until the late twentieth century, the plaza has since figured in several revitalization efforts. Launched in 2006, city planners sought to recreate its pedestrian character by knitting together the plaza, cathedral, courthouse, and the river. In this way they hoped to promote a re-engaged citizenry and a re-energized civic life.
The Redevelopment of Main Plaza
Private contributions joined public investment to make the vision of a redeveloped Main Plaza a reality. Local companies and foundations donated more than half the cost of revitalizing this community treasure. Those private resources have brought modern-day conveniences to the Plaza.
A $2 million donation from the Tobin Endowment provided funding for five interactive, ground-level fountains.
A grant from AT&T makes Main Plaza WiFi enabled, providing free high-speed internet access to the public through an embedded wireless network. People with wireless card devices can sit in the plaza and eat lunch while surfing the internet, gaming, or getting some much-needed work accomplished in a relaxed setting.
Additional monetary donations are contributing to improvements in the Plaza that will enhance daily life in a public setting, creating a highly desirable escape from the traffic and noise of urban life.
The grand opening of Main Plaza took place on April 13, 2008. Opening was celebrated by a mariachi mass at San Fernando Cathedral. The following community leaders were ceremony and dedication keynote speakers: